Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Chicken Liver of Birthdays Past

My brother and my son were born exactly 25 years and 51 weeks apart.  Their birthdays fall on the same day, exactly a week apart.  While I was pregnant with my oldest son, I kept telling my brother that my son was going to steal his birthday.  My son was considerate enough to arrive a week before his Mama’s birthday.  Why am I focusing on birthdays?  It’s easier to focus on the events that we celebrated before heading down this road we’re on.

For as long as we can remember, ever since our oldest was born, my other half and I have wanted to have his birthday party out of doors.  His first birthday, we gave in and let his grandparents throw him a huge birthday (which he slept through).  It was indoors.  His second birthday was also indoors.  I believe it was held at his grandparents along with his third birthday.  My mother had her first surgery right before his second birthday so we put off celebrating his and his Mama’s birthday until after her surgery.  She put off her second surgery until after their birthdays. 

I think my son’s third birthday might have been pretty uneventful.  His fourth birthday was at Chuck-E-Cheese.  It really is a place where a kid can be a kid and sometimes, adults too.  He had a chance to play with his grandparents, including his Dida.  I guess I should translate the names I’m using.  Maternal uncle is called Mama and maternal grandmother is called Didima.  I called my maternal grandmother Dida and passed the name onto my sons.  Except now I realize that the baby will probably never learn to call his grandmother Dida.  She’ll just be a picture he vaguely remembers. 

This year, for my son’s fifth birthday, at the last minute his father and I decided to have a party at the park.  He was getting ready to finish up his first year of school and wanted all his school friends there.  It was the only safe course of action as my mother wasn’t exactly in the best of health.  She had been looking very ill but I didn’t say anything.  I was worried.  I should have said something but I know no one wanted to hear my worst fears voice aloud.  This has always been the way in my family.  I find it very annoying. 

My mom went to the park briefly.  She stayed for a bit.  She fussed over everything.  I was impatient with her.  She eventually left to go home.  She hadn’t been eating well and she had been feeling very poorly besides.  I told my worry to shut the f*^& up.  Literally.  Sometimes, we should say whatever we want and the consequences be damned.  To hell with stepping on people’s toes. 

On the Thursday before my brother’s birthday, she went to the emergency room.  She had spent the night vomiting and my father took her to the urgent care center the next morning.  They told him to take her to the emergency room.  She had pneumonia and they put her on antibiotics while waiting for various other test results.  But as it turned out and looked, it was more than just pneumonia.  The word cancer got injected into air turning it toxic.  I held my breath and let it go finally.  My worst fear was staring me in the face.  I knew that damn thing was bound to rear its head sooner or later. 

They wanted more tests.  It was the first time I ever spent the night at the hospital.  You should know that I hate hospitals.  My second son was born in a hospital.  Since I was not the hospital’s patient, I left soon as the midwife cleared me to leave.  My son was safe in the hospital’s care.  After all, his brother spent two nights in their NICU when he was born.  That’s a story for another blog.  I spent the night sleeping in a chair in my mother’s room.  Somehow, having me there with her cheered her up enormously.  In retrospect, I’m glad I got that moment.  It was the beginning of something wonderful.  While I didn’t stay overnight for my son, I have spent at least three nights in the hospital with my mom. 

What makes me mad is when they saw the scans and decided it’s probably the cancer, they stopped treating her for the pneumonia.  My internet research into cancerous growth in the lung revealed that pneumonia is often a common thing when there are cancerous growths in the lungs.  If they had treated it, maybe she wouldn’t have gotten as weak and could have started chemo.  Maybe not.  It’s too damn late to speculate. 

She was released from the hospital the first time around on her son’s birthday.  She came home and I went to see her.  It was the first time ever in my life I cooked with my mother.  She cooked all my brother’s favorite foods.  She made curried chicken liver, hilsha fish in mustard sauce, shrimp malaikari, and pullau rice.  That night I learned why my curried chicken liver never quite tasted like hers.  She told me that when she was gone, I would have to make my brother his favorite foods for his birthday.  I didn’t ask who was going to make my favorite foods for my birthday. 

There are a lot of things I didn’t ask.  Who’s going to buy me clothes because sooner or later, I’m going to need new clothes?  For 36 years, she has supplied me with clothes.  Who’s going to make my favorite food for my birthday?  Better yet, who’s going to remember all those important dates of my life?  I remember how I spent my 33rd birthday at the hospital with her when she was first admitted.  The day before I was told she had cancer.  The day after she had her first surgery.  Really mother!!  No wonder I’m so dramatic.  I had to get it from somewhere. 

Last night I cooked curried chicken liver.  I used a bit too much ground spices so there was a lot of sauce.  But I remembered to add her secret ingredient.  It tasted just like hers.  Except all that sauce.  So I guess I’ll be delivering a container to my brother every birthday.  When he was born, I didn’t know that I had signed up to be her surrogate when she would make her final bow.  So the only question is, who’s going to be my surrogate when she goes?  

My chest hurts.  My head hurts.  My shin and ankle hurts from running.  I’ve started working out.  I want to give myself a chance to be here for my kids.  On this side of the fence, I get what it feels like to slowly have your mother slip away from you.  Some are not so fortunate as to get to say good bye.  So I’m burying my anger, hiding my sorrow behind a smile.  There’s time enough for that later.  Right now, I’m going to console myself with the memory of cooking my brother’s birthday dinner a few months ago and nurse that memory with bites of this delicious curried chicken liver which reminds me so much of the one mom makes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment